Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Croatia Day 4: Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina

0700
Oops. My alarm didn't go off, I accidentally set it for PM. Luckily, David is jet lagged and awake. I had a hard time getting to sleep with David's snoring and I'm sure I snored as well.

0830
We departed for Mostar and stopped at a few key places on the way. We learned more about the "conflict" in the area during the drive.



Mostar - beautiful city, very sad place. There were Roma all over, bullet holes in the walls still unrepaired, communist block buildings with gray hues, and no one smiled. There was a certain energy there that was oppressive and depressing. Our guide was very positive though. This is the city he loves and he wants tourists there to boost the people and the economy.  Unemployment is over 40% and they simply have no money to fix the damages.


A bombed building, still yet to be repaired

See the bullet holes?





Restored stone walkways

There is a very cool bridge and men jump off for money and, hopefully, a date. The city is divided by the river. On one side are the Serbs and the other side are the Croats and Bosniaks (see the guard towers on each side of the bridge below). I can't remember the names of each area, only that the older generation doesn't cross the river. They remember the war and their long-term neighbors on the other side.

Apparently, Bosnia received money from Croatia, Italy, etc. to help rebuild and they are working on repairing bullet holes, roofs, etc. Which I think is generous and much needed. However, there is a 5 Star hotel being built right across from some ruins about to be repaired. They are trying to boost the economy and tourism, but the repairs have to be built a certain way to maintain a UNESCO heritage site (Turkish architecture and so on), making repairs more costly and time consuming. It's distinctly different architecture in the country compared to other Balkan areas (stone roofs instead of terracotta, mosques, etc.) and they want to preserve their unique charm.








I have to admit that I was very depressed after walking through the city. The atmosphere and general energy was sad and desperate. We felt guilty eating so much food while being surrounded by people who don't have much. It makes you appreciate what you have.

Cevapcici (Spiced minced meat), fries, and flat bread
Gratitude List:

1. I don't live in a war torn country (depending on who you ask) :)
2. I am blessed to have a well paying job that I love
3. Our tour guide, Pero, who seems to like us. He's also very god at being politically neutral, which I'm sure is hard for him. He was a teenager during the war and I'm sure he remembers it.

No comments: