Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Bears, Riverdays and the BEACH

So, my friend Lori told me about the Riverdays festival.  Saturday morning, I wake up and head for a hike at Cutler.  I plan on eating lunch at the festival and then heading home for the World Cup game.

Hike to Cutler:

I would normally not hike alone, but I heard this trail was pretty public and has great view of the ocean and cliffs.  The parking lot had a few cars, so I decided it wouldn't be too bad.  Boy, was it lonely!!  I kept hearing strange noises and then maybe 1/2 a mile into the trail, I saw BEAR PRINTS!!  I contemplated whether I should keep going, but decided I'd better not take any chances.  I headed back to the car on high alert with pepper spray in hand. Ha ha



Bear Tracks

It was about lunch time, so I headed back to East Machias for the festival, but I couldn't find it.  I did find a sign that said it was on Sunday...bum!  Do you remember Monica's Chocolates??  She said she was opening a cafe and was going to start serving Peruvian hot chocolate.  I turned right around and went to Lubec and had hot chocolate for lunch...lol.  I wanted to try a Peruvian sandwich, but they were preparing a few meals for someone and I wan't that hungry after drinking the chocolate.  It was DELICIOUS btw.

River Days:  On Sunday, I went to the riverfest, where they had red hot dogs and frog races.  These frogs were REAL!!  I thought the little kids leap frogged around for a prize.  NO, they pick out real frogs from the river to race.  I've never seen that before.







Roques Bluff (about 10 min drive from my place):

 Finally found a beach...and it's super close

This is what a strawberry is supposed to look like...YUM!!




Fish Fry at River Days right after the beach :)

No comments: