It was supposed to be a pretty nice day today, so Shannon and I thought it would be a good idea to take a little tour of the surrounding area. It was a little rainy in the morning, but cleared up by the afternoon. It turned out to be a gorgeous day!!
First, we stopped at Kandee's Bakery for some fresh out of the oven raspberry scones with creme-caramel tea. It was the BEST tea I've ever had, and the scones were delish.
We then headed to Lubec to see the West Quoddy Lighthouse
West Quoddy
It's the Easternmost point in the USA
West Quoddy up close
Another lighthouse on the way
Then, we crossed the border into Campobello, NB, Canada. We toured Roosevelt Cottage and then East Quoddy Lighthouse (formerly known as Head Harbor Lighthouse)
I love that it says "Her majesty, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother."
FDR's cottage by the sea
View from the deck
We stopped for lunch and had delicious Fish n Chips. A Canadian tradition is POUTIN (shown below) which are fries topped with gravy and cheese. We decided to be adventurous and tried it...not bad surprisingly. It's originally topped with cheese curds but this one had shredded mozzarella (??)
.
We started to head further down the road and stopped at an abandoned lot to take a few pics:
I could have a summer house here!!
kinda looks like a heart
We didn't really know where we were going, but we actually ended up at East Quoddy Lighthouse (Head Harbor). Gorgeous!! The guard told us we had to cross the rocks within 15 minutes or the tide would come in and we'd be stuck. The rocks were slippery, so I wasn't brave enough to cross. Shannon crossed though!!
East Quoddy
That's where you had to climb!!
Shannon coming up the stairs
A different view after we hiked to the other side of a hill
We passed by Monica's Chocolates and decided to take a look. Monica was there, gave us some samples, and showed us where she makes the chocolate. She's Peruvian and a lot of her chocolates have "Peruvian cream." She thought it was funny that I was also named Monica and that the only other Peruvian I've really met was also named Monica. HA HA. Pretty crazy. Her chocolates were SOO GOOD!! I tried a coconut bon bon that had potato as an ingredient. You can't taste the potato, I'm assuming it helps it stay moist, like potato starch in cakes??
Behind the scenes
Not the greatest, but I LOVE her apron!!
1 comment:
I take that back...Melissa's step dad is Peruvian...
Post a Comment