I have 4 weeks left in my current contract in Seattle. They've offered me a pretty sweet permanent deal: reimbursement for plane tix to TX, U-Haul, Hotel, Gas, first month's rent and deposit PLUS, a paid week of vaca while I'm moving. The offer is only $4/hour less than what I'm making now. HOWEVER, they keep adding little tid-bits here and there to change it. Like, "after a year, we'll have to go by the pay ladder" (so I lose $6/hour) "and wean you off the 'bonus' money." I love my co-workers and our work environment, but I get a little uneasy when they do these things. I don't trust the "money man." He was the one who was going to end my contract in the middle and leave me high and dry just a few months ago.
Plus, the whole point of traveling was to get more experience and make new connections. I'm the only OT there and don't have a person with higher expertise helping me and guiding me. A lot of my co-workers have voiced their confidence in me as an OT and I guess the doctors in the area have as well (so "money man" tells me). But, I do have a few weaknesses that I need to work on (i.e: Neuro and shoulders).
I called a few recruiters just to see what was out there. There's a nursing home in Kirkland who has an opening. I had a phone interview with the head OT and director of the rehab program. It's mostly neuro and they have a few skilled OTs. They're willing to teach me if I'm willing to learn. It's a team environment where the therapists work closely together. It also seems pretty laid back. I'm not sure how I feel about geriatrics, but grumpy old men seem to like me :)
My options are:
1) Keep my current position where I have job security in this economy and a pretty sweet deal, but risk staying "stagnate." Plus, I'd have to move all my stuff up here since I'd be paying my own rent and utilities. They also want a year committment...
2) Take the nursing home position an hour away (still about the same distance to Seattle either way) with the added challenge of Neuro and enhance my knowledge base and skills. Did I mention it's in a REALLY nice, ritzy area overlooking the water??
3) Extend with my current position if they allow it and look into moving in the fall to the East Coast for more experience (just a thought...)
No comments:
Post a Comment