Ok, so I visited the Nursing Home and had a little mini interview with the director. I toured it and I looked at an AWESOME urban living apt. It was really nice....like living in a hotel. I wanted to take the position, just to live there. BUT I JUST COULDN'T see myself there. I just couldn't!! Nursing Homes are just not for me.
So, I talked to the money guy at work and asked if he'd compromise and do 6 months instead of 1 year. I didn't want to commit to a year in case something comes up. I didn't want to feel trapped.
He offered to let me go to the inpatient rehab for a half day once a week so I can get some more neuro experience. Plus, they offered to give me some of the PT shoulders so I can also have more experience with that. Then, I had a meeting with my COTA to discuss caseload. Right after that meeting he approached me with a contract, which I was not expecting. I had a patient waiting, so I was in a little bit of a hurry.
He put the contract in front of me and he signed it. I hesitated and said I would look over it and talk to him about it Friday (again, being careful). He became a little upset saying that I had already drawn this out and it's the same contract as before. I told him last week, "I got to thinking....", and then presented how I wanted more neuro and shoulder experience. When I told him I wanted to look over the contract he had just put in front of me, he stated, "I got to thinking, I got to thinking...how many more 'got to thinking' are you going to give me?" He was mocking me and pointed to the signature line. I felt really pressured, my patient was waiting for me, I was already late....so reluctantly, I signed it.
Immediately I regretted it. He was obviously trying to manipulate me through guilt and pressured me (knowing I had a pt waiting). He tried to make me feel guilty several times during our earlier conversation when I asked for a compromise. He said, "It's going to take more than 6 months to recover from paying for you 9as a contractor)." He stated that they need me, I'm irreplaceable, etc... The contract is a 2 year contract with a retention bonus at 1 yr and again at 2 yrs instead of 6 months. Many of the agreements we made verbally weren't in the contract (inpatient rehab, shoulders, vacation time). I feel disrespected. If I'm so irreplaceable, you would think he wouldn't try to play tricks. Several times, he has told me, "Im being a gentleman about this." What's that supposed to mean? He could be mean to me, but instead he's manipulating the situation??
Dang it, he got me!! I discussed this with Ryan and he said really the contract is void because it was pressured and isn't accurate per our verbal agreement. He didn't give me time to read it and make sure it was what we had agreed upon.
So, i'm a little upset. I don't like feeling manipulated, especially when I had been very careful to not let Rene use his tactics on me :( It makes me nauseous. He also asked me if he should fire the other OT (I thought this was very inappropriate).
Perhaps I can just leave a clean break and find another assignment elsewhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment