For the past 8 weeks, I have been dealing with some GI issues including nausea & extreme bloating. My weight fluctuates by 5 lbs daily depending on the amount of bloat. So, just like any other good patient, I went to see the GI doc.
He wanted to rule out food allergies/intolerances. That means 3 tests lasting 2+ hours including 12 hours of fasting prior.
I completed the first test: lactose intolerance. I was feeling pretty uncomfortable for a while (pretty close to the threshold), but then my body starting digesting correctly. I think maybe I'm more sensitive than intolerant.
Today was the fructose malabsorption test. It was positive!! Unfortunately the symptoms last 24-48 hours. I have been praying to the porcelain gods today. I actually went to work since my student is in her last week. She pretty much worked for me while I was there to supervise (in between porcelain god visits).
The MD recommends a 2 month long fructose and gluten-free diet. Then, slowly adding foods back to see what really bothers you.
I can still eat certain types of fruit (stone, berries, pineapple, bananas) & veggies (leaf) but have to sustain from HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (which is in EVERYTHING), apples, pears, onions, & asparagus. Also, no sorbital aka SPLENDA, which means NO DIET SODA (well, every once-in-a-while is ok).
I'm thinking of posting some of my favorite products/recipes kind of as a log as well as general info to the millions of people that read my blog (ha ha).
You have now been updated :)
No comments:
Post a Comment